Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Did Someone Mention Food?

You’ve heard of a hot dog on a stick. You’ve heard of cotton candy. How about a Fudge Puppy? Or a Pig Licker? The food at the Minnesota State Fair is as varied as the types of people who eat it. For me, it is one of the main reasons I visit the fair.

There are the standard favorites, which much be consumed every year. These include the Pronto Pup, Tom Thumb Donuts, deep fried cheese curds (the ones by the horse barn, not in the Food Building!), a twist cone from the Dairy Building, and Danielson’s onion rings. Are you noticing the theme of deep fried? Yum. When I’m feeling in need of something a little healthier I’ll get a Schroeder’s caramel apple.

Of course are complications. Seems every year there is something new to try, which means on top of all of the usual favorites I have to force myself to try things that most likely will become added to the list of favorites. The list of must-eat foods at the fair grows every year, as do the pounds I put on. No matter. I write that off as insulation, which will come in handy in a few short months.

I got a tip to try the deep fried (that again?!) S’more. I also have to try to aforementioned Pig Licker, which is chocolate dipped bacon. Ish, you say? I’m not afraid. I heard about the Pig Lickers weeks before the fair. Coincidentally there was a family event for which I was preparing a salad containing crumbled bacon and a dessert involving hot fudge sauce. The night I was frying the bacon and making the hot fudge sauce, I decided to try this most unusual combination. It was surprisingly good! So I’m eager to see how good it tastes at Famous Dave’s.

You’ll see people eating hot dogs, hamburgers, and pizza at the State Fair. Personally, I like to get my fill of things I can’t get anywhere else but the fair. Even if it’s not so unusual, like walleye or spaghetti, the fact that they put it on a stick makes it bona fide State Fair cuisine.

If you haven’t been to the Great Minnesota Get Together yet this year, there’s still time.

There’s plenty to see, plenty to eat, and it’s the best place in the world to get free stuff. Come on down. It runs through Labor Day. I’ll be the one waddling down the street with a deep fried Twinkie in my hand.


2 comments:

ourgreatgreenglobe said...

when I use to go to the oklahoma state fair, i use to dream about the funnel cakes for days!! yum! Yum!

Memo-Pause said...

This is so funny! In just the last few days I read someone else's blog devoted to the food at the Minnesota State Fair!

Texas State Fair always had wonderful corn dogs and funnel cakes. Mmm, and fresh-squeezed lemonade. Oh, my mouth is watering!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...