Monday, August 31, 2009

Wooly Red Rug

About twice a month I contribute an article to the HandmadeMN blog featuring the HandmadeMN members' shops on Etsy. I thought it would be nice to have those articles on my blog too, as I really like the artists and shops I feature, and their wares might add a bit of class to my little corner of the blogosphere.

I have a secret fantasy of living on a hobby farm. Of course I'm a total city girl and could never survive on a farm for all the flies, dust, and manure. But in my fantasy I'm dressed in my cute little jumper and mud boots, bucket and stool in hand, ready to milk some cows. Also on my farm would be hundreds and hundreds of sheep. I love sheep. They're so cute and woolly and they stick their little pink tongues out when they baa. In my fantasy I would shear the sheep and spin their wool into the most luxurious yarn ever seen.

Alas, I have no sheep and I don't know how to spin wool into yarn. But I do know someone who has taken the yarn made from the fluffy wool of my imaginary sheep and has created the most glorious pieces of art. Laurie Lausen. Her shop, Wooly Red Rug.

Laurie is a true master of her art. She knows how to dye and hook yarn into beautiful rugs, runners, and mats. She also hand-dyes wool fabrics and cotton threads. The colors are fabulous.

Check out this cute item: It's the Wool Lover's Journal; a journal cover made with hand-dyed fabrics and threads. Look, there's an applique of one of my sheep.



The Americana Hearts and Stars Runner is one of Laurie's original designs and I just love the primitive colors. Not only did she design it, she hooked it herself! What a woman.


Laurie did some more designing and hooking with this lovely chair pad featuring my fantasy sheep. She suggests the Hilltop Chair Pad can also be used as a table mat. Anything that is so pretty and can serve dual purposes is simply a must-have.


Laurie Lausen is such a gifted artist. She also has a really nice blog called Prairie's Edge Primitives. Wooly Red Rug is a wonderful place to pick up a little piece of that hobby-farm fantasy you might have. Thanks, Laurie, for fueling the fire.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...