Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Green Squirrel

About twice a month I contribute an article to the HandmadeMN blog featuring the HandmadeMN members' shops on Etsy. I thought it would be nice to have those articles on my blog too, as I really like the artists and shops I feature, and their wares might add a bit of class to my little corner of the blogosphere.

Lately I've been remembering times when, as little girls, my sister and I would go through Dad's collection of sea shells from Hawaii. We would sort them according to shape, size, and color. For me, it was fun for about fifteen minutes. For Charlotte, it was something she would want to do for the rest of her life. She thrives on order and finds much joy in categorizing and organizing things. One of her favorite things to do is sorting buttons.

Collecting and sorting buttons could very well be a fun activity, but then what do you do once everything is categorized? The Green Squirrel knows...

Look, Charlotte! Buttons, button covers, and other tiny trinkets used to make the cutest pendants you've ever seen! They range from about 1"-1 1/2" in diameter.

Below is Pearly Pink. I love the shimmer of the pink button, and of course a built-in jewel never hurts.



The Green Squirrel collects all sorts of vintage pieces for her pendants too. So not only does she know how to mix and match colors well, she recycles. She really is a Green Squirrel. Check out this dainty item - Carrots:




Along with vintage pieces I saw this lovely item, Orange & Green Flower, combining two classic vintage colors. What a great combination!




Charlotte would give her left arm to see the collection of buttons in the studio of The Green Squirrel. But if you're like me, you'll let her do the sorting and you can gather up the charming finished products.

1 comment:

MaryAnn said...

Um, okay, is there something different (anatomically speaking) about those carrots? I didn't realize carrots were male and female. Well, you learn something new everyday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...