Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Featured Shop - Connected Elements

About twice a month I contribute an article to the HandmadeMN blog featuring the HandmadeMN members' shops on Etsy. I thought it would be nice to have those articles on my blog too, as I really like the artists and shops I feature, and their wares might add a bit of class to my little corner of the blogosphere.



Husby and I have an affinity for big water. We're fortunate to be within driving distance of the Great Lakes and have made several long weekend getaways to Great Lake destinations.

During our first trip to Door County, Wisconsin we made a stop at a town called Algoma. It was a quiet little town. We took a walk along the shore and I was simply stunned at the rocks of the beach. All of the rocks were smooth, round, and white. Millions and millions of them. I couldn't help myself and starting picking them up. My pockets were bulging and my hands couldn't hold any more. They were all the same, yet all different. I couldn't stop gathering them. Husby finally ran back to the car and brought back a one-gallon ice cream pail for me to carry my rocks.

That pail of rocks is in my studio, untouched. I haven't figured out what to do with them. Imagine my amazement when I discovered the Minnesota-based artist Candyce Fitzloff-Westfield and her lovely shop Connected Elements.

Candyce uses beach stones, as well as elements such as silver, cooper, bronze, recycled glass, resin, and enamel in her beautiful jewelry. Beach stones! Just like the ones I saw in Algoma!





What wonderful jewelry. So beautiful in its simplicity and yet such talent to create such simple beauty. I love the earthiness of it. The pieces look stunning, and yet so natural. Look! More of my beach stones!



Candyce is living the dream, making her wonderfully unique jewelry in beautiful northern Minnesota. She's captured the grandeur and the simplicity of nature in her work. Just looking at it makes me want to sell everything and move to a log cabin next to the fresh water seas.




Candyce sells her work in several shops throughout Minnesota. Online you can find her at Connected Elements as well as at Trunkt.

Now, what to do with my stones...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...