Friday, January 28, 2011

If I Were King Of The Forest


Things are starting to look up in Craftland.  As exciting as it is for me to get my work space tidy and functional again, I can't help but wonder if this project was a means for procrastination from what I really have to do ~ jumpstart my business.

I'll admit the new and improved Craftland is necessary to a productive work area which will, in turn, allow me to create better products and more of them.  But the closer I get to the completion of the Craftland project, the more I dread what comes next ~ the work.  I'm not talking about the work involved in making my little crafties, I'm talking about the work it takes to get out and sell this stuff.  The goal is to be able to retire on schedule (much sooner than the average retiree) and to have a booming business to supplement my pension.  While I love to make the things I do, getting out there to sell it in spades is another thing.

One of my favorite blogs had a post not too long ago to which I could really relate.  It's all about the hang-ups of entrepreneurs.  Actually, there is only one hang-up, and that is fear.  Oh sure, you've heard it all before, and so have I.  We make excuses about why we can't get our businesses off the ground (too busy working on Craftland, can't take perfect photos, have to spend forty hours a week at the day job, etc.), but the bottom line is we're afraid.

There is fear of failure and fear of success.  There is fear of looking foolish, fear of what others might think of your entrepreneurial lifestyle, fear of being left behind.  Lots and lots of fears.  The article on this blog addressed the fear we've been hearing about for years, but the author took a whole new angle on it.  He spoke in terms of The Wizard of Oz

Now that's a theory I can get behind!  I totally get it, and will print off the blog post and pin it up on my new Craftland bulletin board for easy reference.  The fear we as entrepreneurs have is exactly the same fear experienced by The Cowardly Lion in the 1939 classic film.

Jonathan Morrow walks you though what your fears may be to recognizing those fears as being unrealistic to forging ahead courageously despite the fear.  Not only does it all make sense, it's written in a way that is thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining.

So please, if you're having trouble becoming the entrepreneur you've always dreamed of being, or if you're looking for a way to unstick yourself from any undesired situation check out this post  on my new favorite and often times inspiring website Copyblogger.

There's nothing like a great motivational article to push me into a fabulous weekend.  I hope yours is fab too!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...