Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Resistance Is Futile


I either have to take a class or go back to the dark ages because I simply cannot figure this Facebook stuff out. Actually, the whole social networking thing has got me stumped.

A) It's taking way too much of my time trying to figure it out.

B) I speculate that even if I did get it all figured out I would spend way too much time tending to the site(s) and not enough time tending to the things in life that really matter.

I figured out the blogging thing, but I'm working at a pretty unskilled level. I have no idea how to personalize my template or other fancy things others have on their blogs.

It's a conundrum. Do I simply go about life as I always have, about which I've been perfectly happy for many years, or do I go over to the dark side and spend the rest of my days electronically connected to the world? OK, in my case I won't actually be connected, but I'll be driving myself to an early grave trying to figure out how to be. Not being connected is the way of the past and I could surely be passed by. Being constantly connected makes me feel really claustrophobic.

It clearly sounds like I want to be unplugged, which brings on the next question: Do I want to be unplugged because being quiet and invisible makes me happy or because I simply cannot learn how to be plugged and make it work for me?

For today I'm going to remain unplugged. Charlotte and I are playing our first game of tennis this summer. We won't have our cell phones on and we won't talk about it on our Facebook pages. We also won't tell anyone where we're playing (Ruthie!) so no one can come and watch us do our sorry Billy Jean King and Chrissy Everett imitations.

How about you? Are you willing to be unplugged? Join me.

Don't be Borg!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...