Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Something's Got To Give

We’ve all heard the saying, “something’s got to give.” There’s another saying, “you can’t have it all.” Those two sentiments have been ringing through my head lately. It’s been a long-time dream of mine to be more organized with my time and materials. The rationale is if I’m sufficiently organized I’ll be able to accomplish everything I need to within the confines of a twenty-four-hour day and still have eight hours to sleep.

Yesterday I made a list of things I wanted to do for the next day. I’ve become more sensible in my lists, including the necessary things plus a few others, but not too much to look overwhelming or which would be impossible to complete. The list contained eight tasks. Eight tasks to complete within the confines of twenty-four hours. Doesn’t seem too daunting, does it? Of course not.

Well, the day is done and I’ve completed only half of the items on my list. I wasn’t distracted by anything and nothing urgent needing immediate attention came up. So what happened? No, really. It’s not a rhetorical question. How come I couldn’t check off everything from my list? Where did the time go? Now when I go to make my list for tomorrow I’ll either have to do that much more, which is improbable, or I'll have to make a shorter list in order to complete it and the leftovers from today. When that happens I just fall farther and farther behind. By the time I reach the end of the week I’m distraught over how many chores and tasks have piled up in time for the weekend, which time is supposed to be spent leisurely.

So what gives? If I can’t have it all, what should be let go? I can’t very well stop cleaning the house or doing laundry. I also can’t resist sleep every night. Preparing, eating, and cleaning up after meals takes time, and I’m told eating is rather necessary to living organisms such as myself. I don’t want to cease being married so I can’t very well give up spending some time here and there with Husby. Family and friends? I refuse to shut them out. And my little business is so important to me and I’m so excited every day to try new projects and think of ways to make the business flourish.

Ah, I think I have it. Five days out of every week I spend eight hours at a day job. That’s a pretty big chunk of time. It’s not a job I’m particularly attached to, although it does provide well. I could really put those eight hours to use if I didn’t have to tend to the day job, but am I willing to give it up with its paycheck and benefits? Is that the something that’s got to give?

Perhaps, someday. I’m continually inspired by Etsy’s Quit Your Day Job articles. If those artists and crafters can do it, why can’t I? If you have a list that keeps growing because you haven’t enough time in a day, maybe you could get inspired by some of these stories too. Because how lovely would it be every day to cross off everything on that list?

1 comment:

MaryAnn said...

The day you cross everything off your list, is most likely the day you're either out of a job, or die. Now, don't you feel better about all those things you have yet to do or accomplish?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...