Monday, May 10, 2010

An Evening At The Theater

This weekend Husby and I had the pleasure of going downtown to the Ordway Theater to see South Pacific. 

Seems I've been spending a lot of time at the Ordway these days.  Just last month I saw the opera Salome with my mom and sister.

Music has always been quite an influence in my life but I have never seen anyone get so excited to see a musical as Husby was to see South Pacific.  It's his favorite.  There were two couples next to us who were on a double date and the gentlemen of that party were equally excited over this production.  Really, I thought they'd all burst into song when There Ain't Nothin' Like A Dame started.  Much to their dates' delight, they refrained and we were all able to enjoy the professionals' performance.
 


There is something exhilerating about going to the theater.  I don't know if it's being surrounded by people who love the arts or a secret fantasy of mine to be a performer that makes the experience so wonderful.  Either way, I think it's important for all people to have the opportunity to see live performances on stage.  The Ordway is a lovely theater too.


In fact, the "nosebleed" seats are actually those I prefer.  Seeing things from above enhances the performance for me.  No, I can't see the sweat on the actors' brows, but production numbers are easier to see from above.  Kind of like, you wouldn't want front row seats to see syncronized swimming - the effect just isn't the same.

And tell me, in that picture above, are those camera lens reflections or ghostly orbs?  I know the Ordway isn't a very old theater, but I prefer to believe the latter.  I'm funny that way.

We had a great time seeing South Pacific and I would recommend it.  Tickets are still available and the show runs through May 16.  The songs will be running through your head for weeks to follow. 

Close to my heart she came
Only to fly away,
Only to fly as day flies from moonlight
Now, now I'm alone,
Still dreamin' of paradise,
Still sayin' that paradise
Once nearly was mine.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...