Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Therapeutic Music

Not long ago I spent about nine hours in the car...alone.  I absolutely love traveling in a car alone, second only to being in the passenger's seat reading magazines and dozing while someone else drives. 

One of the reasons I like traveling alone is that I can slip in any CD I want and listen to it...loudly...as many times as I want.  Depending on my mood I could be listening to anything from John Denver to Jean Michel Jarre. 

On this past trip I took I realized something interesting.  I really like music with an upbeat tune and a morose message.  An example of this can be found repeatedly on the Supertramp album Breakfast In America.  The Logical Song, Take The Long Way Home and Breakfast In America are my favorites. 


Of course I can't talk about music without mentioning my long-time favorite, Queen.  Queen also has a song with a really jolly tune, yet the song's message is pretty insightful, jaded, and downright sad depending on what period of life you're in.  That song is Good Company.  Brian May plays his magical mandolin banjo (or is it a banjo mandolin?) with an upbeat ting and the lyrics say things like "reward of all my efforts my own limited company," and one of my all time favorite quotes "all through the years in the end it appears there was never really anyone but me." 


Music is a powerful churn for emotions.  Strangely enough I am drawn to music that will make me tap my foot, bop my head, and feel melancholy all at the same time. 

For your enjoyment, Good Company by Queen...




Take good care of what you've got
My father said to me
As he puffed his pipe and baby B
He dandled on his knee
Don't fool with fools who'll turn away
Keep all good company oohoo oohoo
Take care of those you call your own and keep good company

Soon I grew and happy too
My very good friends and me
We'd play all day with Sally J
The girl from number four
And very soon I begged her
Won't you keep me company?
Oohoo oohoo oohoo oohoo
Come marry me for evermore
We'll be good company

Now marriage is an institution sure
My wife and I our needs and nothing more
All my friends by a year by and by disappeared
But we're safe enough behind our door

I flourished in my humble trade my reputation grew
The work devoured my waking hours but when my time was through
Reward of all my efforts my own limited company

I hardly noticed Sally as we parted company

All through the years in the end it appears
There was never really anyone but me

Now I'm old I puff my pipe but no one's there to see
I ponder on the lesson of my life's insanity
Take care of those you call your own
And keep good company

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...