Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Impromput Visit


All this stuff I've been writing about regarding scheduling and getting things done...I have to say there's something to be said about spontaneity.

I usually put so much emphasis on what I do and don't get done that I sometimes lose track of living.   Someone said  "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans."  This weekend I was reminded of that.  I got a call from my friend Ruthie, who rarely calls me on the phone at home.  She said her husband Ray might have a tool which could help me in the production of my bottle cap drink charms and magnets.  She also said they could bring it right over if I wanted it.  Of course I would love a tool which could make my production run quicker; I said "come on over!"

So they did.

They arrived at our house around the dinner hour.  Usually not a great time to be dropping by, but Husby and I thought it was perfect as we could at least offer them some food in gratitude for their kindness.  We ordered a couple of pizzas and opened a bottle of wine for Ruthie and me and cracked open a couple of beers for Ray and Husby. 

I took one sip of that Pinot Grigio and knew a glass of wine was just what I needed ~ it was an almost rebellious break from the demands I've been putting on myself lately.  What was intended to be a drop-off visit turned into a six-hour fun fest with good friends.

By the end of the evening we had finished up two pizzas and some Girl Scout cookies (Thin Mints ~ perfect after pizza), two bottles of wine, a bunch of beers, and a whole bunch of yakking.  Neither couple planned on spending the entire evening together.  I know Husby and I enjoyed ourselves and we hope Ruthie and Ray did too.

The point is, while it is important to accomplish things in our lives, mundane or obligatory or mandatory, it is equally important to leave a little wiggle room for spontineity.  Don't let an impromptu visit freak you out.  (The laundry can wait until tomorrow.)   Live in the moment and grab your opportunities to live life as it comes to you.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...