Friday, March 04, 2011

Pick Something And Do It

I wrote a post a little while ago that mentioned my ongoing struggle with organizing and scheduling. Charlotte gave me some tips on how to actually get things done. Her way involves a little planning and a lot of doing. My way has been spending countless hours planning and list-making and finding no hours at the end of the day to accomplish anything.

I also mentioned in that post that I had seen a video put out by Etsy regarding the same thing. It's right here, everyone. The advice given first by Charlotte is reiterated by April Bowles in an Etsy symposium. With a combination like that you can't go wrong.

The trick is to chip away. To actually get things done instead of staring like a deer in headlights at the never-ending to-do list. To realize what must be done today and what can wait until tomorrow.  And guess what?  Not getting everything done today isn't going to stop the earth on its axis.  As a matter of fact, Charlotte says the only thing that really must be done today is an emergency trip to the hospital.  If you don't need that, give yourself a break and lighten up.  This is not a point about procrastination but of relieving yourself of the paralysis caused by an overwhelming list of things to do.

Charlotte and April can articulate it much better than I can.  I can't get Charlotte to present a lecture on the subject so I'm offering April's presentation.  I haven't mastered the practice of organizing and discipline yet, but am working on it every day.  I've had good results, mastered or not.

This lesson is a little lengthy, so be sure you have about an hour to devote to it.  Oh come on, what are you gonna do instead?  Waste more time?

April makes references to Etsy and shop owner practices. Fear not. Her techniques can be applied whether you are an Etsy seller or not.

This is a good motivator that will inspire you to accomplish some things this weekend.  Me?  I'm going to start my spring cleaning!


Watch live streaming video from etsy at livestream.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...