Monday, July 18, 2011

Wake Up!

Here we are, bright and early on another lovely Monday morning.  If I didn't have an image to uphold I'd be hurling expletives like shellfire.  Because I don't want to be thrown off the interlinks due to my creative profanity I'll just say this...alarm clocks should be banished from the face of the earth.

Most of us work day jobs, and for some strange reason our employers expect us to be on the job at a very specific time.  You might get to choose your start time, but it's their expectation that you're there at that specific time that makes things uncomfortable.  I don't mind working eight hours a day, but let me start my eight hours when I arrive at work, whether that's 6:00 a.m. or 10:30 a.m, whenever I'm ready to start the day.

This past weekend I had an entirely free weekend to do exactly as I chose.  I had no committments, and it was the last whole weekend free of committments I'll have until September.  Friday night I was dead tired and fell asleep in my chair at 7:10 p.m.  Husby left me alone because he knew if he woke me there might be consequences.  So there I slept until 1:00 a.m.  Then, in the dead of night, I was wide awake after six hours of sleep.  I knew if I went to bed I'd just lie awake, so I commenced to start my "day."

I went about my business quietly so as not to wake Husby.  I got a ton of things done.  By the time Husby got up it was 6:00 a.m.  I already had five hours of work under my belt.

The weirdest thing about that day was the fact that I wasn't tired at all until around 8:00 p.m.  By 8:30 I got my second wind and kept doing my thing until 11:00 p.m.  I was pretty much full throttle for twenty-two hours straight.  I went to bed and woke up on Sunday nine and a half hours later at 8:30.

I can't help but wonder what my days will be like when no one expects me to be to work at the day job.  Will I sleep bizarre hours?  Will that be healthy?  Sleep is quite important if one wants to function at full capacity, but when you're loaded with hormones and have insomnia what are you supposed to do?  Lay there and fake it?  I have a hard time laying in bed pretending to sleep when I have so much to do outside of the bed.

So hello, and Happy Monday.  My internal clock is all hosed up and my employer doesn't really care.  I'm expected to show up, on time no less, and get the work done no matter what.  I think that's a pretty heavy load to put on the likes of me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...