Friday, November 14, 2008

It Is Later Than You Think

I try to be upbeat and positive, especially on this little blog. As a person who's heading up a small business, I like to present a bright and cheery disposition. I use the Crabby Quilter as a reminder of how ugly and non-lucrative being a downer can be. The Crabby Quilter is a person who has wonderful quilted items such as wall art, pot holders, oven mits, appliance covers, and yes, quilts. She does beautiful work. When I wanted to chat with her for a minute and give her praise for her efforts, she snapped at me, saying she doesn't get enough money for the things she sells because the time it takes to make these things isn't even taken into consideration. Crabby. And too bad for both of us, her grouchy mood made me want to never buy anything from her as long as I live.

The point I'm trying to make here is that I don't want to turn people off with complaints. Except, well, I'm human and this blog is to give you a little insight into my life, right? Maybe not, but it's my blog and I'm feeling especially dangerous today.

I've spread myself too thin and feel just horribly about it.

There. I said it.

There are people who disagree with me and say I'm doing just fine. I've got wares at several stores and boutiques, I'm doing shows, and I'm filling custom orders, and I have an online shop. But I feel like I should have more at the consignment store, be quicker about filling those custom orders, and update my shop more often. None of that takes into consideration my blogging time, of which I feel I have very little. I want to take some photos of my candles. I want to fill the consignment store to the rafters. I want to update my shop every single day. I want to have a turn-around time of sixty seconds with custom orders. I want to be the single most fabulous retailer this holiday season!

My complaints have nothing to do with customers or about how much I get paid for my work. I love my customers and I'm ever grateful that people think my wares are worth the price tag I attach to them. My complaint is the same one many people have, from stay-at-home moms to corporate executives, from students to seniors. There just isn't enough time in a day.

Since when did I have so many aspirations and so little time?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...