Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Rut


Guess what? I'm in a rut.  Hey, that rhymes!  Perhaps poetry is the answer to getting out of my rut.  Or not.

A long series of bad practices has put me in a place I really don't like.  It resembles hell.  The day job has really taken a toll on me, my crafty business is at a plateau, and my social life is practically nonexistent.  I am the poster child of the phrase "life is what happens when you're making other plans."  I'm missing out on it physically, mentally, and emotionally.

So what is one to do?  I have a few ideas of how to break free of the mundane tedium of my life.  Feel free to try any of these yourself if you've been feeling trapped in a rut too.

1) Turn off the TV.  OK, this isn't something I have a big problem with; I'm just saying that a lot of things happen while we're glued to the TV. 

2) Get more exercise.  Endorphins are all the rage and you'd do well to get yourself some.  I'm going to.

3) Revisit an activity you once enjoyed but no longer perform.  For me it will be cooking and other homekeeping tasks.  My inner June Cleaver is taking a nap and I'm determined to wake her up.

4) Have date day/night.  You can do this if you're single, coupled, or an entire family.  Get out of your shell and see the world.  By that I mean perusing antique stores, going to the zoo, spending the day at the beach.  Dates should be a regular thing and not a fluke in your schedule.  For now I'm going to have a date twice a month.  Dates should also be done outside the home.  The point is to shake things up a little and to take a break from your regular scenery.

Being in a rut is pretty bad, but once you've discovered you're in one it's actually quite exciting to think of ways to climb out.  I'm looking forward to participating in some new activities and to hone some rusty skills back into shape. 

If you're in a rut, what are you going to do to make your life less rutty?  Hopefully that hell-like feeling will dissipate in no time at all.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...