Friday, September 16, 2011

The Audience


Busy, busy.  Today I prepare for the ever-spectacular Chateau St. Croix Winery Fall Festival.  I've been doing this show for a number of years now and have come to know my audience.  Interesting how that happens, gaining an audience. 

There were particular people of my audience in my mind as I prepared for this show.  One reguarly returning customer begs for a chocolate-scented candle every time he visits.  He bought one from me once a couple of years back.  I don't carry chocolate-scented candles as a practice; they typically don't sell well and only receive comments like "it smells really good but it would make me want to eat a candy bar every time I lit it."  But Robert is different.  He wants the chocolate aroma around him and will actuall burn the candles.  So, for Robert I made two Fudge Brownie candles.  They won't be on the table.  They're special just for him.

Then there're those goofballs (Miss Maaren, Miss Loretta, and Mr. Todd) who always check out my magnet board to see what's new.  I'm driven to come up with at least one fresh design just for their enjoyment, whether they buy one or not.  I'm relieved to be able to offer something new for them. 

Of course the sentiment on this magnet is no reflection of how I feel about Miss Maaren, Miss Loretta, and Mr.  Todd.  But I'm pretty sure they'll get a chuckle out of it.
  
Of course there's Miss Kathy and her lovely family.  All I have to provide for them is a table full of free sniffs.  Her girls love to smell the candles and even have a candle collection!  I've become "The Candle Lady" to them and my booth is one of the highlights of their visit to the Chateau St. Croix Winery Fall Festival.

The audience.  As a business entity I must respect their preferences and give them what they want so I can earn a living.  As a real, live girl I have come to enjoy their presence in my life and appreciate the social spin they give my business.  Thank you, my fair audience, for keeping me on my toes and making my world a little brighter.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...