Thursday, May 29, 2008

What's A Blog?

I’ve spent a lot of time reading blogs today. Some are crafty blogs. Some are mommy blogs. Some are daddy blogs. Some are dysfunctional unit blogs. Some people believe blogs are evil. Others don’t understand the purpose of them. Husbie’s parents would look at you like you had leeches wiggling out your nose if you merely said the word “blog” in their presence, as they have no idea a blog is a thing and not some noise you make when you cough, sneeze, and vomit at the same time.

There is a lot of talk in the crafty business network about blogs. Should I have one? What do I talk about? I can’t write well. I won’t belong if I don’t have one. Etc. I usually advise that reading blogs is much easier than writing them. I also usually advise that if you are in a quandary about what to put on your blog (or is that “in” your blog?) you probably ought not bother. In my opinion, a blog is a free-spirited kind of thing, if it isn’t a completely structured and uniformily-themed thing. Clears it all up, doesn’t it?

I guess I’m just trying to justify my own little nook in cyberspace. I don’t use my blog to strictly promote my business. I don’t use my blog to strictly promote others’ businesses. I don’t use my blog to strictly discuss the arts and crafts world. There is no “strictly” about my blog at all. It’s a place where I can go and talk about nearly everything. It’s a place other people might go to pass the time. It’s a place to record my journey through the business world, to explore my creative side, and learn about things like html and pixels.

So there you have it. My entry today was much less inspired than the ones I’ve been reading today, but then again, I’m not getting paid to write this like most of them are. Who knows? Maybe with a little practice…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this entry. My blog is unstructured too. It's just like me - a little bit unstructured. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...