Monday, April 26, 2010

Invisible Work

My husby is a very tidy husby indeed.  I'm grateful he doesn't leave piles of things all over the house (like I do), he puts his laundry in the hamper, he has a place for everything and everything is in its place.  However, Husby wouldn't see a dust bunny if it jumped up and bit him in the face.  He doesn't find cleaning chores pressing and really doesn't notice the difference once they're done. Or else he just chooses to turn a blind eye to filth necessary aspects of good homekeeping.

Over time I've come to refer to much of my housework as invisible work because I'm the only one who knows it's been done.  I usually do my invisible work on Friday afternoon while Husby is still at his job and I put in only four hours at the day job.  Therefore, to Husby, the work I do on those Fridays truly is invisible. 

No matter.  I know this work needs to get done and I do it.  I can't work on a greasy stove.  I can't stand a water-spotted window.  I hate lint on the carpet.  So I do it.  Magically and invisibly.

Last Friday I decided to treat myself and refrain from doing invisible work.  Of course that didn't mean the invisible work didn't have to be done.  It had to be done while Husby was at home. 

Minding my request that he vacate the area in need of attention Husby went upstairs where there was a TV and a bathroom, leaving me to wash the floor that covers a large part of the main floor of our house.  The dinette chairs were moved, the rugs vacuumed and shook, and out came the bucket, sponge mop, and Murphy's Oil Soap.


Luckily I had just enough Murphy's to do the job.  (Note to self - pick up more for spring woodwork cleaning.)  Husby was a peach and stayed clear, but has a little better idea of how my Friday afternoons are spent.  Most importantly he got a glimpse of how necessary invisible work is.  He saw the bucket of dirty water.  Yikes.

1 comment:

Cheri said...

enjoyed your talk about the invisible housework, funny and sad but so true!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...