Thursday, March 17, 2011

I'm Outdated!


I had a little talk with one of my mentors this week and guess what?  I'm not with it.  I'm not hip to the groove.  I'm a total square, man. 

We were talking about my drink charms.  The ever-popular bottle cap drink charms.  I love making them and especially love the comments and laughter I get when people see them.  In case you didn't know, they're come in a set of six with images of a particular theme.  And they are nostalgic, for the most part.  For example, I have the old hollywood movie stars set...


...and the Batman set...


...and the Rock Legends set.



Apparently my customers are getting younger and I'm getting older.  Nostalgia to them is something I experienced in my adult life, which makes me feel positively ancient.  Most of my retro items are dated as early as the turn of the century (sheet music magnets), hovering at the mid-century point (pulp fiction magnets), and tapering off around the '70s (drink charms).  What I've failed to realize is that the '80s, when I was in my prime dancing the night away while Prince shook his tiny little derriere on the stage at First Avenue, were thirty years ago.  Which is considered "vintage." 

So in an attempt to keep up with vintage times I'm going to be giving some thoughts to new charm sets.  I've got a few ideas running through my head and hopefully I'll grab the attention of you young whipper snappers out there who, in my mind, are much too young to drink anything that is served in stemware.  Can you see where this is headed?


If you youngsters have any suggestions on what you'd like to see dangling from your drink, let me know.  I'm always open to new ideas, even though I can't get my head around the fact that people born after 1982 have things to be nostalgic about.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...