Sunday, January 25, 2009

Cold January

Long underwear, top and bottom. Two pair of socks. Slippers. Cargo pants. Turtle neck with cuffs containing thumb holes, covering hands to knuckles. Old (twenty + years) pullover sweater. Another old (12 + years) cardigan sweater. This is what I’m wearing tonight, and I’m still cold. Oh, I’m not complaining, I’m actually enjoying the cold and snowy winter we’re having in Minnesota this year. It’s just that…I can’t move much. I feel like Randy in A Christmas Story – I can’t put my arms down!

The whole family came over this past weekend to celebrate my dad’s birthday. The ladies prepared an old-fashioned dinner, specifically requested by Dad, of meatloaf, potatoes, green bean casserole, and fruit salad complete with marshmallows. Of course my mom made her very popular angel food birthday cake with the best frosting, served with strawberry ice cream. Maybe it’s not so much my many layers of clothes as it is last night’s huge meal that’s making me more immobile than usual.

The evening was right out of a Norman Rockwell painting when we started playing old 78s on the Victrola and watching home movies. Do families still do things like that? If not, they should. There’s nothing liked old-fashioned family fun to warm up a cold winter night.

1 comment:

Jane Carlstrom said...

What warm family activity to keep one happy and comfy in this cold weather. Gave me a warm glow just reading about it. Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...