Monday, January 19, 2009

Home Comforts

For me, and Auntie B’s Wax, the holiday season is officially over. Does that mean a peppermint candle won’t sell anymore? Personally, if a scent makes me happy, be it Sweet Pea or Northwoods Christmas, I’ll burn it no matter what the time of year. I bet if I’m that way, someone else is too, so I’ll continue to list candles in my shop regardless of what seems…seasonal.

It’s always a little sad when the last of the Christmas decorations are packed away. There’s a coldness about the house when it lacks all the color and twinkling lights that come with the holidays. But when the anticipation of Christmas, the entertaining and being entertained, and the sweets and sounds of the holidays disappear, the original warmth of “home” sinks in again.

I had a holiday from work today and spent my time regaining that warmth of home. I got caught up on a lot of the domestic chores that got put on the back burner for a few weeks. It feels good. One of my New Year’s Resolutions is to become more organized, and to become better at homekeeping. I’ve been creating lists to follow until it all becomes routine again. (Running a business has a way of taking a routine and shaking the life out of it!)

A great resource, should you also wish to embrace the art of homekeeping, is Home Comforts by Cheryl Mendelson. It’s a very comprehensive book covering every aspect of homekeeping. I reread the first chapter the other day to get inspired, and it worked miracles. There’s nothing like a well-kept home. If you make a priority out of a clean and cozy home life, the drudgery assigned to housework will minimize and the rest of your life will be less stressful knowing you have a well-kept abode.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...