Monday, August 09, 2010

Dance Like No One's Looking

Remember the movie Way Out West?  A Laurel and Hardy classic for sure, if not an all time classic.  There are a couple of musical numbers in the movie, one which is Laurel and Hardy's rendition of Trail of the Lonesome Pine.  You know...

In the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia
On the trail of the lonesome pine
In the pale moon shine our hearts entwine
Where she carved her name and I carved mine
Oh, June, like the mountains I'm blue
Like the pine I am lonesome for you
In the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia
On the trail of the lonesome pine

There was another number done by The Avalon Boys (portrayed as cowboys lollygagging on the stoop of the saloon) which moved Laurel and Hardy to blissful dance. 

What you may not know is that this number inspired me and Husby to perform that dance in front of my entire family during a weekend at the lake cottage several years ago. 

The memory of it makes me laugh.  I made an audio tape of the song from the TV while I was watching the movie and Husby and I practiced the dance for at least a week before we put on our seemingly spontaneous performance for the family.  There we were out in the middle of the central Wisconsin woods dancing to a bunch of yodeling cowboys in front of my entire family, who were nearly wetting their pants with laughter.

The point of this post is...be silly once in a while.  It will make other people happy and will make you feel free.  As Maude (from Harold And Maude) said, "everyone has a right to make an ass of himself, you can't let the world judge you too much."

If you aren't familiar with the Laurel and Hardy dance, I've included the clip here.  For those of you who know me and Husby, you can most surely picture us busting the moves.  For those of you who don't know us, well, you will probably be astonished at the fact that we are so incredibly talented, agile, and graceful as to emulate the ever famous Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...